#121 [url]

Sep 30 15 4:31 AM

The best thing about this year is that I woke up yesterday morning knowing the significance of the date, but I didn't feel sad - I started to think about all the fun, the laughter and the good times we had. Time really is a great healer.

Quote    Reply   

#123 [url]

Oct 1 15 3:54 AM

I've just found out that Simon Cowe, the original lead guitarist with one of my favourite bands, Lindisfarne, died yesterday. He was a talented musician but also had a strong social conscience. He didn't court fame and was so matter of fact about his success that you truly felt he was a genuinely humble human being. He left the band over 20 years ago and moved to Canada, where he raised his family (three boys, all musicians). He came back over to the UK every now and then and guested with the band if they were touring. He was famous for never signing his own name on an autograph. He wasn't a prolific songwriter, but did occasionally come up with a gem - like this one,'Uncle Sam', from the band's 1971 breakthrough album, 'Fog on the Tyne'. R.I.P Si, you were a one-off and will be greatly missed by everyone that ever saw you play.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Lindisfarne+Uncle+Sam&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=290AE0082C237BCEBD39290AE0082C237BCEBD39

Quote    Reply   

#126 [url]

Nov 14 15 12:27 AM

Another horrific attack on innocent civilians in Paris. I'm fast running out of ways to express how I feel about all this. Once again, the warped minds of religious fanatics leads to devastation. Our thoughts have to be with all of the families of those who were killed.

Quote    Reply   

#127 [url]

Nov 14 15 3:20 AM

Totally agree, Mick. Horrible and heartrending. Remembering how sincerely the airline people in France were concerned for safety (returning to New York) even a few years after 9-11, my heart goes out to everyone affected by this. If we could figure out why people became religious fanatics, maybe it could be prevented. Religions and politics... a deadly combination.

Quote    Reply   

#129 [url]

Nov 14 15 9:28 AM

One of my friends on facebook is a young lad called Shaz Rehan, who I have known for many years. He is a British Muslim who has always spoken out against those that distort his beliefs.  These have been his last two posts:  "It's crazy how these people get so brainwashed by nutters that they think murdering innocent people and then blowing themselves up is going to get them to heaven" and "Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity"

Quote    Reply   

#130 [url]

Nov 17 15 3:49 AM

While I do not condone terrorism of any kind, if the injustices that the West performed in the MIddle East during the Colonial era were acknowledged by the West, maybe one of the root causes of the hatred could be ameliorated somewhat.

Quote    Reply   

#131 [url]

Nov 17 15 2:30 PM

Good point. I just wonder if we are now stuck with this situation as the new reality. It's difficult to reason with closed minds and bigotry (on all sides).  But the saddest part of all this is that those who are fleeing from such barbarity in their own countries (the refugees) are now being shunned by a growing number of people in the very countries that are supposedly standing against terrorism - yet another example of the victims being blamed.

Last Edited By: Hawkdove Nov 17 15 2:34 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#132 [url]

Nov 19 15 6:32 AM

Yes. I've been reading some of the things going on here and wonder, since so many of the ones trying to deny refuge to those fleeing barbarity claim to be Christians, where compassion and do to others has gone. And would like to ask them, if you were in the refugees' situation, what would you want?

Quote    Reply   

#133 [url]

Mar 23 17 6:17 AM

More deaths - this time in London. When it's this close it feels worse, but obviously it's a drop in the ocean when compared to what is happening on a daily basis in places like Syria. I saw this from one of our political commentators, Brendan O'Neil - it summed up how I feel.

"This cowardly car-and-knife attack is a reminder of the great pain individual terrorists can inflict. A teacher killed, a policeman stabbed to death, French students badly injured. One man with nasty ideas and crude weapons can do terrible things. But this vile assault should also remind us of one of the prime responsibilities of us citizens at times like this: to ensure that terrorism has no impact beyond its murderous one. To do everything within our power to make sure that while this bloody, scrappy act may have succeeded in impacting awfully on scores of individuals, it will have no impact on our political life, our daily lives, or our sense of security. That’s the power of the citizen in relation to terrorism: to refuse to give it the response of fear that it craves, and needs."

Quote    Reply   

#134 [url]

Mar 24 17 3:26 AM

My heart goes out to all those affected, personally and collectively. And I am totally in agreement with Brendan O'Neil. Having been in New York last summer on a bombing day, his words describe what I saw, and would hope that we all see, in response to such acts.

Quote    Reply   

#135 [url]

Mar 24 17 7:14 AM

​All of this happened the day after the death of Martin McGuinness, who, as a young man, was responsible for some bloody and horrific acts of terrorism via the IRA. He later rejected violence and was instrumental in the peace process in Northern Ireland, eventally becoming Deputy First Minister in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

​Although there are many who did not and will not forgive his earlier actions, I, for one, was heartened by the way he used the latter part of his life for good. To me, it keeps the flame of hope burning and allows me to keep some faith in my fellow human beings.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help